The Locum Center was created as a resource for physicians interested in practicing as a locum in Alberta and qualified employers looking for locums.
Short term and long term locum vacancies for general practitioners as well as specialists can be found here. To work as a locum in Alberta, you must first obtain licensure from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta. This also applies to all physicians including International Medical Graduates who are interested in locum work.
Current Locum Opportunities
If you are a physician looking to “try before you buy”; experiencing living and working in Alberta prior to making a permanent relocation decision, you are in the right place! Whether urban or rural, hospital or clinic, long term or short term, there are many opportunities for locum physicians to choose from.
Living in Alberta
Located in the heart of the Canadian prairies, Alberta is a resource rich, booming center of the West. The province of Alberta has a population of over four million people (2014) who share a spirit of entrepreneurship and success as well as a sense of adventure enjoyed in all four distinct seasons. The Canadian Rockies helps to define Alberta as the destination of choice for professionals and families alike.
Resources for Locums in Alberta
As part of a professional network of healthcare providers, Albertan physicians have access to many resources. Financial, practical, medical and practice management resources are all part of the benefits of practicing as a physician in Alberta.
- Alberta Health
- Alberta Health Services
- Primary Care Initiative
- Alberta Medical Association
- Towards Optimized Practice
- Society of Rural Physicians of Canada
- College of Family Physicians of Canada
- Alberta College of Family Physicians
- College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta
- Rural Health Professions Action Plan (RhPAP)
- University of Calgary, Dept. of Medicine, Continuing Medical Education
- University of Alberta, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, Continuing Education