Frequently Asked Questions for Physicians

Physicians, both internationally-trained and Canadian-trained, often have similar questions about working in Alberta. Here are the most frequent questions we are asked:

  1. How do I get a sponsor as stated in my CPSA Review of Qualifications Letter?

  2. Why do I need an account with

  3. What is the Medical Council of Canada (MCC)?

  4. What is the difference between the MCCEE and LMCC?

  5. What is the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT)?

  6. What is the Health Professions Act (HPA)?

  7. What is the Alberta Medical Association (AMA)?

  8. What is a Primary Care Network (PCN)?

To work in Alberta, you must obtain licensure from the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta.